Are your tyres wearing quickly?
In New Zealand, tyres must have a minimum tread depth of 1.5mm. However, the more tread you have, the better grip you will have and the safer you will be.
Increased tyre wear occurs when one or more factors contribute to the tyres losing their tread quickly. Not only can this be unsafe, but it will also cost you more money over time. For this reason, it is often best to get the problem diagnosed sooner rather than later.
There are several things that can lead to your car’s tyres wearing at an accelerated rate, leading to them needing to be replaced more often.
Common causes of increased tyre wear:
- Incorrect inflation levels – In your car’s manual, the manufacturer will usually specify ideal tyre pressures. This information is important because having the correct inflation levels improves fuel economy and comfort as well as significantly increasing the lifespan of your tyres. Be sure to inflate your tyres to the correct levels for best results.
- Tyres aren’t being inflated regularly – On average, your tyres will lose about one PSI for each month they go without being inflated. This can lead to increased wear over time. To make your tyres last as long as possible, fill them up to the recommended level once every four weeks.
- Incorrect tyres – When buying new tyres, it is important that you choose the right ones for your vehicle. If you don’t they can wear very quickly and affect the stability and comfort of your car.
- Wheels in need of alignment – It is important to make sure your wheels are correctly aligned. This is because badly aligned tyres can lead to uneven tyre wear and damage. Most mechanics recommend getting a wheel alignment every 2-3 years, or whenever your tyres are replaced.
- Driving habits – The way you drive your car can have a significant effect on the lifespan of your tyres. Sudden braking, intentional loss of traction and going fast around tight corners can cause your tyres to wear very quickly.
Tips on minimising tyre wear:
- Bring your car in for a wheel alignment every 2-3 years. Correctly aligned tyres will last more much longer.
- A tyre rotation is a great way to minimise uneven wear on your tyres. We recommend that you get one done whenever you get your car serviced.
- Keep the health of your tyres in mind while driving. Try to avoid sudden braking or sharp turns at high speeds.
- Regularly inflate your tyres to the correct pressure. For best results, do this monthly. If you’re unsure about what the right pressure is, consult your car’s manual or search on Google.
Tyre Wear Diagnostics & Repairs in Hamilton
Are your car’s tyres wearing very quickly? If so, we can help you identify the problem and fix it! At Grimmer Motors, our team of experienced mechanics can quickly determine what is causing uneven or accelerated tyre wear. We can then provide quality advice or repairs.
For tyre repairs, servicing and replacement in Hamilton, contact Grimmer Motors today!