What does the ABS light do?
The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) light is a warning light on the dashboard of a car that indicates a problem with the ABS system. The ABS system is designed to prevent the wheels from locking up during hard braking or on slippery surfaces, which can cause the car to skid or lose control. The ABS light is usually yellow or amber in color and appears as an icon of a circle with the letters “ABS” inside.
When the ABS light comes on, it indicates that the ABS system is not working properly, and the system may be disabled. This means that the car’s braking system will function like a traditional braking system without the added safety features of the ABS. This can make it more difficult to control the car during hard braking or on slippery surfaces, especially if the driver is not experienced in handling a car without ABS.
Causes of ABS light turning on
The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) light on your car’s dashboard can turn on for a variety of reasons. Here are some of the most common causes:
- Faulty ABS Sensor: The ABS system relies on wheel speed sensors to detect if a wheel is locking up during braking. If one or more of these sensors is faulty or damaged, it can cause the ABS light to come on.
ABS sensor replacement in Hamilton >
- Low Brake Fluid: The ABS system is connected to the car’s brake fluid system, and if the brake fluid level is low or there is a leak in the system, it can cause the ABS light to come on.
Brake fluid replacement in Hamilton >
- Malfunctioning ABS Module: The ABS module is the computer that controls the ABS system, and if it malfunctions, it can cause the ABS light to come on.
- Bad Wheel Bearing: A worn or damaged wheel bearing can cause the wheel speed sensor to malfunction, which can trigger the ABS light.
- Broken ABS Ring: The ABS ring is a component on the wheel hub that helps the ABS system to detect wheel speed. If the ring is damaged or broken, it can cause the ABS light to come on.
- Faulty ABS Pump or Valve: The ABS pump and valve are responsible for regulating brake pressure during ABS activation. If these components malfunction, it can cause the ABS light to come on.
Advanced ABS Light Diagnostics.
Is your car’s ABS light on? If so, we can help! Problems with the ABS system can affect the overall safety of your vehicle, leading to dangerous situations if you have to brake rapidly or make turns while braking. At Grimmer Motors, we can improve the safety of your vehicle by diagnosing and fixing any ABS-related issues.
At Grimmer Motors Hamilton, we have invested heavily into electronic scan tools and diagnostic equipment, which means that you can have total confidence and peace of mind that we will diagnose and fix any ABS problems quickly and cost-effectively.
For friendly fast advice, diagnosis and repairs, call us now.
Live/work in any of the following areas? Grimmer Motors could be extra convenient for you.
- Fairview Downs
- Hamilton East
- Central Hamilton
- Forest Lake, Beerescourt