What is the fuel gauge sender unit?
Located inside your car’s fuel tank, the fuel gauge sender unit measures how much fuel is in the tank and sends this information to the fuel gauge on your dash. This allows you to see how much fuel is remaining in your tank.
The fuel gauge sender unit consists of a sender float and a variable resistor. The sender float is attached to the variable resistor and is designed to float on the surface of the fuel inside of the tank. As the level drops, the float will change position and move the variable resistor. This will affect the level of fuel displayed on your car’s fuel gauge.
Learn more about how the fuel gauge system works >
Any problems with the fuel gauge sender unit can cause the fuel gauge to behave incorrectly and give inaccurate fuel readings. This can increase the risk of your car getting dangerously low on petrol or diesel without you knowing.
Symptoms of a faulty diesel / petrol fuel gauge sender unit:
- Incorrect fuel level readings: One of the most noticeable symptoms of a faulty fuel gauge sender unit is an incorrect fuel level reading. The fuel gauge may indicate that the tank is full when it is not, or vice versa.
- Stuck fuel gauge: The fuel gauge may become stuck at a certain level, regardless of the actual fuel level in the tank.
- Fluctuating fuel gauge: The fuel gauge may fluctuate rapidly or erratically, indicating incorrect fuel level readings.
- Fuel gauge not working at all: In some cases, the fuel gauge may stop working altogether, indicating a failure of the sender unit or the fuel gauge itself.
- Engine stalling: If the fuel gauge sender unit is not working correctly, the engine may not receive accurate information about the fuel level. This can result in the engine stalling, particularly when the fuel level is low.
- Check Engine Light: A faulty fuel gauge sender unit may trigger a Check Engine Light or warning light, indicating a problem with the fuel system.
If you experience any of these symptoms, it’s important to have the fuel gauge sender unit inspected and repaired by a qualified mechanic as soon as possible. A faulty sender unit can result in incorrect fuel level readings, which can lead to engine stalling, decreased fuel efficiency, and increased risk of fuel system damage.
Diesel or Petrol Fuel Gauge Sender Unit Replacement in Hamilton
Is your car in need of a new fuel gauge sender unit or fuel gauge sender diagnostics? If so, we can help!
At Grimmer Motors, we can provide your car with a new fuel gauge sender unit. This will mean that your car’s fuel gauge provides accurate readings, allowing you to drive at peace and not worry about the car running out of petrol or diesel. We also offer a variety of other fuel system repairs including fuel pump repairs, fuel filter repairs and more.
For diesel and petrol fuel gauge sender repairs and replacement in Hamilton, contact Grimmer Motors today!