What does your vehicle’s fuel pump do?
Signs of a malfunctioning fuel pump:
- Engine sputtering or stalling: A failing fuel pump may not be able to supply a consistent flow of fuel to the engine, leading to engine sputtering or stalling. If you experience frequent episodes of the engine struggling to run smoothly or unexpectedly shutting off, it could be due to a fuel pump issue.
- Loss of power or acceleration: Insufficient fuel delivery from a faulty fuel pump can result in a noticeable loss of power or a lack of responsiveness when accelerating. If you find that your vehicle has difficulty reaching higher speeds or has a sluggish acceleration, it could be a sign of a failing fuel pump.
- Difficulty starting the engine: A fuel pump that is on the verge of failure may struggle to provide the initial fuel pressure required for starting the engine. If you notice that your vehicle has an increased difficulty starting, especially after sitting for a while, it could be due to a problem with the fuel pump.
- Surging or fluctuating engine speed: Inconsistent fuel flow caused by a malfunctioning fuel pump can lead to surging or fluctuating engine speed. You may notice the engine RPM (revolutions per minute) rising and falling unexpectedly, even when maintaining a steady throttle position.
- Whining noise from the fuel tank: A failing fuel pump may produce a whining or humming noise from the fuel tank area. This sound is often more noticeable when the vehicle is running but can sometimes be heard during key-on engine-off (KOEO) as well. The noise may indicate that the fuel pump is struggling to operate efficiently.
- Fuel pressure issues: A malfunctioning fuel pump may result in low fuel pressure or inconsistent fuel pressure levels. This can be identified through a diagnostic check using specialized equipment by a professional mechanic.
Fuel Pump Inspection & Replacement in Hamilton
Is your car not starting or struggling to maintain the correct fuel pressure? At Grimmer Motors, we are able to test your fuel pressure, scan / diagnose and fix any problems related to your car’s fuel pump or filter. Our advanced diagnostic tools allow us to quickly check the status of your car’s fuel system. We can then service and fix your vehicle, getting it running smoothly again.
Contact us today for fuel pump servicing and replacement.