Why are working car doors important to your safety?
In order to maximise safety and comply with New Zealand’s Warrant of Fitness requirements, your car doors should be secure, fully working, and free of rust and corrosion. An unstable door can affect your vehicle’s safety by coming loose as you are driving. A door that is stuck can also create huge safety risks in the event of an emergency where the driver/passenger needs to quickly exit the vehicle.
Causes of failed Warrant of Fitness (WOF) for car doors:
There are several different safety issues that can lead to your car’s doors failing a Warrant of Fitness. These include:
- Rusty or damaged door hinges – Over time, rust or prolonged use can lead to weakened door hinges. When this happens, replacement is recommended. In order to pass a Warrant of Fitness, a door’s hinges must be securely attached to both the door and the body of the car.
Fixes for car door hinges in Hamilton
- Car door stuck shut – All of your car’s doors should be able to easily open and close in the event of an emergency. If one or more doors are stuck shut, your car will fail a Warrant of Fitness. This problem is usually caused by issues with the door’s latch. However, the child lock may also cause issues.
Fixes for door stuck shut in Hamilton
- Car door won’t stay closed – Problems with the latch can also lead to your car door not closing correctly. As you can imagine, this can lead to potentially unsafe driving conditions, especially at high speeds.
- High levels of corrosion/rust – Rust can weaken your car’s doors and their components. If your door has rust, you may notice pitting as well as bubbles in the paint. In severe cases, the area affected by the corrosion damage may fall out and leave a hole.
- Visible damage – Damage to the door can compromise its structural integrity, making it less effective in the event of an accident. Sometimes, a panelbeater’s report will be necessary to ensure the door meets New Zealand’s safety standards.
- Door sagging or misaligned – If your door appears to be sagging or misaligned, it can cause problems with the latch mechanism, making it difficult to open or close. It can also compromise the structural integrity of the car, which can be dangerous in the event of an accident.
Are your car doors not locking/unlocking properly?
Eventually, the locking mechanisms can fail inside your door, leading to it not locking or unlocking correctly. When this happens, the part(s) inside your door will need replacement. At Grimmer Motors, our mechanics can fix these issues, allowing your door to function correctly again.
Car Door Replacement & WOF Work in Hamilton
Have you failed a Warrant of Fitness due to problems with your car’s doors? If so, we can help! At Grimmer Motors, our team of skilled mechanics can replace hinges, latches and car door panels themselves. If necessary, we can source and install a replacement door that matches your old one.
Once the issues with your door are fixed, your doors will function correctly and safely and be able to pass a Warrant of Fitness.
For car door servicing and new parts in Hamilton, contact Grimmer Motors today!