What does the transmission Position Sensor do?
The transmission position sensor, also known as a neutral safety switch, is an important component in the transmission system of your car. It is responsible for providing information to the engine control module about the gear position of the transmission. This information is used to control the engine and transmission operation, ensuring that your vehicle runs smoothly and safely.
Over time, the transmission position sensor can become worn or damaged, leading to poor engine performance, transmission shifting problems, and even stalling. If you notice any of the following symptoms, it’s important to have your car’s transmission position sensor checked by a professional mechanic:
- Difficulty shifting gears
- Warning lights on the dashboard
- Stalling or difficulty starting the car
- Reduced fuel efficiency
- Check engine light on
The transmission position sensor should not be confused with the transmission speed sensor, which measures the rotational speed of the transmission.
The transmission position sensor is usually screwed onto the side of your car’s transmission. As you move the automatic gear selector from park/neutral to drive or reverse, it detects the changes. It then enables and disables the connection to the starter motor circuit, affecting your car’s ability to start. Sometimes the sensor can malfunction or the switch can become stuck. This can lead to difficulty starting your vehicle as well as safety issues. For this reason, it is important to get the sensor replaced.
Symptoms of a faulty transmission position sensor:
- Car not starting – If the transmission position sensor fails, it can prevent your car from starting at all. This happens due to the starter motor connection being permanently stuck in the “disabled” mode. In some cases, the car will only start in neutral mode and not park (or vice versa).
- Car starts in other gears – A faulty transmission position sensor can result in there being no protection from your car starting in drive or reverse. This can be dangerous and lead to unexpected movement of the vehicle.
Transmission Position Sensor Replacement in Hamilton
Is your car in need of a new transmission position sensor? If so, we can help! At Grimmer Motors, our team of experienced mechanics can quickly diagnose and fix problems related to the transmission position switch. This will result in your car starting without an issue, or allow for safer starting of your car.
In addition to replacing the transmission position sensor, we also offer a full range of maintenance services including oil changes, tune-ups, and regular inspections of the engine and transmission. This helps to ensure that your vehicle is running at its best and that any potential issues are caught early on.
For transmission position sensor / switch replacement services in Hamilton, contact Grimmer Motors today!