Why is replacing your car’s headlights and fog lights important?
Your car’s headlights allow for improved visibility at night. As well as lighting up the road in front of you, they also make your car visible to other drivers. Properly functioning headlights are vital to your car’s safety and are also a Warrant of Fitness requirement in New Zealand.
Fog lights are used to improve the safety of your car in foggy weather. Although they are not used nearly as much as headlights, you never know when you might need to use them. For this reason, it is highly recommended that your vehicle’s fog lights work correctly.
A headlight or fog light repair/replacement will give you improved visibility of the road in front of you. This will allow for increased safety for you, your passengers, and other cars around you.
If your headlights are damaged, not working or only working intermittently, we recommend that you avoid driving at night. This will keep you safe and also reduce the chances of your car attracting police attention.
Causes of malfunctioning headlights / fog lights:
There are several things that can cause your headlights/fog lights to malfunction or fail a Warrant of Fitness. These include:
Blown bulbs – When a bulb blows, the light will stop functioning. A blown bulb can be caused by loose connections, old age or carious electrical problems. Blown bulbs will need to be replaced to restore proper headlight functionality.
Different Coloured Bulbs – over time the colour of the headlight / fog light bulb can change, which means your car could fail a Warrant of Fitness (WoF) . Both bulbs must be the same colour to pass a WoF
Damaged electrical components – Your car’s headlights and fog lights are controlled by a series of electrical components. Problems with the headlight relay, fuse, module, headlight switch or surrounding wiring can prevent the headlghts or fog lights from turning on.
Damage caused by impact – Physical damage to the front corners of your car can lead to the lights being broken. In many cases, the entire light assembly may need to be replaced.
Faulty alternator or battery – A faulty alternator or battery can lead to the headlights being very dim, especially when the car is first turned on.
Car Alternator Repairs in Hamilton >
WOF requirements for headlights in New Zealand
In New Zealand, the Warrant of Fitness (WoF) requirements for headlights are outlined by the New Zealand Transport Agency (NZTA). The specific requirements may vary slightly depending on the type of vehicle and its age. Here are the general guidelines for headlights:
- Headlight Operation: The headlights must be in proper working condition and able to be turned on and off using the vehicle’s controls. Both the high beam and low beam settings should be functional.
- Beam Pattern: The headlight beam pattern should be correct and properly aligned. The low beam should provide adequate illumination of the road ahead without blinding oncoming drivers, while the high beam should provide enhanced visibility for long-range illumination.
- Headlight Intensity: The headlights must emit a sufficient level of light. The light output should be bright enough to allow the driver to see the road ahead and be visible to other road users, especially during nighttime or poor visibility conditions.
- Headlight Aim: The headlights must be properly aimed to ensure they provide the maximum illumination without causing excessive glare for other drivers. The aim should be adjusted so that the beams are correctly aligned horizontally and vertically.
- Headlight Condition: The headlight lenses must be free from cracks, damage, or excessive deterioration that could obstruct or scatter the light output. The lenses should be clean and transparent to allow optimal light transmission.
New Headlight / Fog Light Installation in Hamilton
Is your car in need of new headlights or fog lights? If so, we can help. At Grimmer Motors, our team of skilled mechanics can repair and replace various components in your car’s front lighting system. Whether the problem is caused by a faulty battery, blown fuse or damaged wiring, we are happy to help.
If you have failed a Warrant of Fitness due to faulty headlights or fog lights, our mechanics can provide a quick solution to the problem. This will allow you to get your car on the road sooner rather than later.
For headlight / fog light repair and replacement in Hamilton, contact Grimmer Motors today!