What does the ballast resistor do?
The ballast resistor is an important component in the ignition systems of older vehicles. It is located between the ignition switch and the battery and is attached to the ignition coil. The purpose of the ballast resistor is to control the flow of electricity that is sent to the ignition coil, preventing damage to the battery and surrounding ignition components.
When your car is driving, the ballast resistor will limit the voltage applied to the coil. This prevents the coil from overheating. When you start the car, this limit is removed, allowing for the spark plugs to a strong spark which ignites the air/fuel mixture in your engine.
Since the ballast resistor is exposed to high levels of heat, it will eventually sustain wear and need to be replaced. Problems with the ballast resistor can affect your car’s ability to start or remain running. For this reason, it is required to replace the resistor in order to be able to start your car.
If you’re experiencing any of these issues, it may be time to replace your ignition coil ballast resistor. And that’s where we come in. Our team of experienced and certified mechanics are skilled in ignition coil ballast resistor replacement services.
Symptoms of a damaged ignition ballast resistor:
A damaged ignition coil ballast resistor can cause a range of problems in your vehicle. Here are some of the most common symptoms of a damaged ignition ballast resistor:
- Engine misfires: A damaged ignition coil ballast resistor can cause the engine to misfire, resulting in a rough running engine and loss of power.
- Difficulty starting: A faulty ignition coil ballast resistor can make it difficult for the vehicle to start or not start at all.
- Poor performance: A damaged ignition coil ballast resistor can cause poor performance and a decrease in fuel efficiency.
- Check Engine Light: the check engine light may turn on, indicating an issue with the ignition system.
- Weak spark: A damaged ignition coil ballast resistor can lead to weak spark in the spark plugs, causing poor combustion and engine misfires.
It’s important to note that these symptoms can also be caused by other issues, so it is recommended to have a mechanic check the vehicle for a proper diagnosis. If you suspect your ignition coil ballast resistor is damaged, it is important to have it replaced as soon as possible to prevent further damage to the ignition system and to ensure your vehicle is running smoothly.
New Ballast Resistor Installation & Replacement in Hamilton
Is your car in need of a new ballast sensor? If so, we can help! At Grimmer Motors, our team of skilled mechanics can diagnose and repair problems relating to your car’s ignition system. This includes the ballast resistor, spark plugs, battery and coils.
Ignition coil ballast resistor replacement is a cost-effective solution to improve the performance of your vehicle’s ignition system and prevent future problems. A new ignition coil ballast resistor will provide your vehicle with better fuel economy and improved power output, helping you to save money in the long run.
For ignition ballast resistor repairs and replacement in Hamilton, contact Grimmer Motors today!