About electronic ignition conversion:
Your car’s ignition system is responsible for igniting the air/fuel mixture in your engine. This ignition process allows your car to accelerate. Newer cars use electronic ignition systems, which provide many benefits.
In a mechanical (non-electronic) ignition system, several moving parts work together to make the spark plugs fire at the correct time. Breaker points are used to interrupt the flow of electricity. This often results in them wearing at an increased rate. In an electronic ignition system, the spark plugs are controlled directly by electronic inputs, with no breaker points. This improves reliability, giving you an ignition system that will last the test of time.
Another option is that we can keep your ignition points and add an electronic ignition kit that will allow only a small electrical current to flow through the ignition points, making them last much longer, and giving you a stronger and better spark to the spark plugs.
If your ignition system is failing, or you want to maximise engine performance and fuel economy, it may be beneficial to get an electronic ignition conversion. This will improve your car’s ignition process, allowing for better fuel economy, improved engine performance and more!
Benefits of electronic ignition conversion:
Converting a traditional points ignition system to an electronic ignition system can offer several benefits. Here are some advantages of electronic ignition conversion:
- Improved Reliability: Electronic ignition systems are generally more reliable than points ignition systems. Since electronic ignition systems eliminate the mechanical points, which can wear out or become misaligned over time, there is a reduced risk of ignition failure. This leads to more consistent and reliable engine starting.
- Enhanced Ignition Performance: Electronic ignition systems provide more precise and accurate ignition timing compared to points ignition systems. This improved timing accuracy can result in better engine performance, increased fuel efficiency, and smoother operation.
- Maintenance Reduction: Electronic ignition systems require less maintenance compared to points ignition systems. With points ignition, periodic maintenance is necessary to clean and adjust the points, replace the condenser, and check the timing. Electronic ignition eliminates the need for these routine maintenance tasks, saving time and effort.
- Durability: Electronic ignition components, such as ignition modules and control units, are generally more durable than mechanical points. They are less susceptible to wear, corrosion, and damage caused by high voltage arcing. This increased durability can result in a longer lifespan for the ignition system.
- Cold and Hot Start Improvement: Electronic ignition systems typically provide better cold and hot start performance. The electronic components are better equipped to handle extreme temperature conditions, ensuring reliable ignition even in challenging weather conditions.
- Increased Spark Energy: Electronic ignition systems can generate a stronger and more consistent spark compared to points ignition systems. This improved spark energy can enhance combustion efficiency, leading to better engine power, fuel economy, and reduced emissions.
- Compatibility with High-Performance Applications: Electronic ignition systems are often preferred in high-performance or modified engines. They can handle higher RPMs and increased voltage demands, making them suitable for applications that require advanced timing control and precise spark management.
- Easier Timing Adjustments: Electronic ignition systems usually provide easier timing adjustments compared to points ignition systems. Many electronic systems allow for quick and precise timing adjustments using electronic controls or dedicated timing devices.
It’s important to note that the specific benefits of electronic ignition conversion may vary depending on the type of system used and the vehicle’s configuration. It’s recommended to consult with a knowledgeable mechanic or automotive specialist to determine the best electronic ignition system for your specific vehicle and needs.
Ignition Conversion & Replacement Services in Hamilton
Does your car’s ignition system need repairs or replacement? If so, we can help! At Grimmer Motors, our team of skilled mechanics can service the various parts in your car’s ignition system. We can also install an electronic ignition system for you. This will improve the operation of your engine and reduce emissions.
For most cars, an ignition conversion is simpler than you think. The results are immediately noticeable and can greatly affect the operation of your vehicle.
For electronic ignition conversion and repair services in Hamilton, contact Grimmer Motors today!