What Does Engine Cleaning Do?
If you have recently bought a second-hand car or are just wondering what an Engine Clean does to your car here are some of the benefits of an engine clean.
- Dirt and grime build-up – Over time dirt and grime build-up throughout the engine which heats up the engine over time and makes the car look dirtier which can impact the asking price of the car if you are selling.
- Oil leaks – Trying to find an oil leak in a dirty engine can be slow, time-consuming easy to miss. An engine clean reveals leaks and makes the process quick and simple rather than hunting around a dirty engine. For more on oil, leaks click here: Oil Leaks
- Loose or missing undertray – A common way for rats/mice and birds to enter the engine bay is from underneath the car which is only made easier if there is no undertray. These are easy to replace and it is a lot more costly to allow animals inside the car than to replace undertray.
- Rats or Bird nests – Although it might seem unlikely to happen to you, a common occurrence is rats or birds make their way into your cars engine bay and building nests. Most of the time they make a nest in your cars engine bay because it is warm and sheltered. This can be hazardous if the exhaust gets hot enough next to the nest which can catch fire which will cause significant damage to the engine, and car wiring, plus you and your passenger’s safety. If rats get under the hood of the car they will chew on the wiring which also causes damage to the car and can be a safety hazard if they chew through safety systems over time.
- Rocker cover gasket – The Rocker cover gasket joins the seal between the rocker cover and the rest of the engine. If this gasket fails then oil leaks out of over the engine and is often blown back under the car. For more on rocker cover oil leaks click here: Rocker Cover Gasket
- Failing your WOF – If the issues above are severe enough your car can fail a warrant because of them. If you think that you have any of these issues or if your engine is particularly dirty an engine clean might be for you.
Signs your car’s engine might need a clean:
There are several signs that indicate your car’s engine may need a clean. Here are some common indications:
- Decreased fuel efficiency: If you notice a significant drop in your car’s fuel efficiency, it could be a sign that the engine is dirty. Build-up of dirt, grime, and carbon deposits on critical components like fuel injectors and intake valves can impede proper fuel combustion, leading to decreased fuel efficiency.
- Rough idling or stalling: A dirty engine can result in rough idling, where the engine feels unstable or uneven at idle speed. You may experience vibrations or hear unusual noises. In severe cases, a dirty engine can even cause the engine to stall.
- Lack of power and poor acceleration: A dirty engine can restrict the flow of air and fuel, hindering the engine’s performance. If you notice a significant loss of power or sluggish acceleration, it may be an indication that the engine needs a clean.
- Increased exhaust emissions: A dirty engine can produce excessive exhaust emissions, leading to visible smoke or a foul smell. If you notice unusually dark smoke or a strong, unpleasant odor from the exhaust, it could be a sign that the engine is not running efficiently.
Engine Cleaning Hamilton
Is your engine dirty or leaking? If so, the Grimmer Motors team can help! Our team of trusted, skilled mechanics are experts in cleaning and repairing engine problems. This includes oil leaks to rats, mice and bird nests.
For engine cleaning and repairs in Hamilton, contact Grimmer Motors today!