What causes brake dust to appear on your car’s wheels?
Most modern cars have brake pads on their wheels. The brake pads create friction, which slows the car down when the brakes are applied. Brake dust is a byproduct of the friction created and is associated with the wearing of your car’s brake pads.
It is normal for brake dust to accumulate around your wheels, especially with cheaper brake pads. However, if dust is accumulating very quickly, there may be a problem with your car’s brakes which is causing the brake pads to wear at an accelerated rate. Uneven brake wear is also a reason for concern. This is when one brake pad wears more quickly than the others.
The main cause of increased wear is the uneven application of the brake pads. This is when the pads aren’t making contact with the rotors correctly due to one of several problems:
Causes of brake pads wearing quickly/unevenly:
- Worn brake discs – The brake disc (or rotor) is a spinning metal plate which makes contact with the brake pads to create friction. In order to work correctly. the brake disc should be smooth and even. Bumps, inconsistencies and varying thickness can lead to accelerated brake pad wear. This is due to uneven amounts of friction being applied.
- Worn brake calipers – Over time, brake calipers can become rusty and worn. This results in your brake system’s pistons not sliding correctly, leading to uneven application of the brake pads.
- Incorrectly aligned brake pads – When installing brake pads, extra care must be taken to ensure they are aligned correctly. If they are not, they will make uneven contact with the discs and wear quickly.
Other symptoms to look out for:
Worn brake pads can make your vehicle take longer to stop. This can make your car dangerous to drive. For this reason, it is important to know the other symptoms of brake wear so that you can take action quickly.
- Squeaking noises when braking – You may notice a squeaking, squealing or grinding noise coming from your brakes. This is one of the most common signs associated with brake pad wear.
- Vibrations when braking – Worn brake pads can also lead to vibrations in the brake pedal when you are slowing down. This is most common when braking suddenly and quickly.
- Increased stopping distance – As the brake pads wear, your brakes will begin to lose their stopping power. As a result, your car will take longer to come to a complete stop. This can be dangerous in situations where you have to brake quickly.
Brake Pad Repairs, Inspection & Replacement in Hamilton
Are your car’s brake pads wearing more quickly than they should? Are you worried about the amount of dust coming off your brake pads? If so, we can help! At Grimmer Motors, our team of skilled mechanics can inspect, diagnose and repair a variety of brake-related issues in all types of vehicles.
Sometimes we can even clean much of the brake dust off your wheels as part of our FREE Basic Car Wash (if you leave the car for repair or service work before 8.30am till at least 2.30pm).
Repairing your braking system will allow for safer driving and better control of your vehicle. For this reason, it is best to service your car sooner rather than later. For brake pad repairs and replacement in Hamilton, contact Grimmer Motors today!