About steering rack adjustment
When you buy a new car, the steering will feel tight and responsive with almost no play. However, your steering may feel looser over time. When it gets to the point where it affects your ability to control the car, you should get the steering rack inspected by a professional. As well as being a safety issue, looseness or noise in your steering wheel can also lead to your car failing its Warrant of Fitness.
What does the steering rack do?
The steering rack is an essential part of your car’s steering system. It consists of a rack enclosed with a steering pinion. It is connected to the steering wheel through the series of shafts and U-joints. Over time, these parts can become loose, worn or damaged and need adjustment or replacement. A steering rack adjustment will give a mechanic the chance to fine tune your steering system, taking note of any parts that need to be repaired or replaced. After a steering rack adjustment, you will likely notice that your steering is much tighter, more responsive to your actions and works with less play.
Symptoms of steering rack issues:
- Steering feels loose – If your steering wheel requires constant correction in order to stay in a straight line, you may have a problem in one of your steering rack’s components.
- Steering wheel shaking – A shaking steering wheel often indicates that the steering rack is either damaged or in need of adjustment. This shaking will often increase at higher speeds.
- Noises from steering system – You may notice clunking or grinding noises when you turn your steering wheel. These can be caused by the parts in your steering rack not moving correctly.
Why is the steering rack important?
The steering rack plays an important role in the following ways:
- Control: The steering rack is responsible for allowing the driver to control the direction of the vehicle.
- Precision: The steering rack provides a precise and responsive steering feel, allowing the driver to make small adjustments to the vehicle’s direction with ease.
- Safety: The steering rack is a critical component in maintaining the stability and control of the vehicle, especially at high speeds and during emergency maneuvers.
- Comfort: The steering rack helps ensure a smooth and comfortable driving experience by reducing road vibrations and minimizing steering effort.
If your vehicle is experiencing steering rack issues, we recommend that you get it inspected by a professional as soon as possible. This ensures that the vehicle will remain safe to drive.
Steering Rack Adjustments and Repair Services in Hamilton
Is your car’s steering rack in need of an adjustment? If so, we can help! At Grimmer Motors, our team of skilled mechanics can perform a thorough inspection of your steering system and adjust your steering rack so that it performs as it should. If we find that part of your steering rack is in need of replacement, we will let you know before we perform any further repairs. We also offer repairs for your car’s power steering system.
For steering rack adjustment in Hamilton, contact Grimmer Motors today!