Your seat belts (or safety belts) are one of the most important safety features in your vehicle. They protect you in the event of a crash. For this reason, they must be functioning correctly for you to pass a Warrant of Fitness.
Over time, seat belts have become more advanced. Pre-tensioners are used in modern vehicles so that you are pulled backwards in the event of a sudden impact. Sensors are also used to detect whether you are wearing your seat belt. Because of these reasons, replacing a defective seatbelt isn’t as simple as it used to be. For this reason, we are happy to help customers with our seatbelt replacement service.
How long do seat belts last for?
Seat belts do not have a specific lifespan or replacement interval. Instead, drivers are encouraged to keep an eye out for symptoms and signs of degradation. Below are some of the most common signs associated with a seat belt not working correctly:
Symptoms of seat belts due for replacement:
- Tearing or fraying of seat belt material – Seat belts are made of heavy-duty material which keeps you safe in a crash. Over time, this material can become damaged, leading to less effective protection. Keep an eye out for any fraying, twists, rips or burns in the seat belt fabric. WE CAN ORGANISE RE-WEBBING OF SEAT / SAFETY BELTS FOR YOU, TO WARRANT OF FITNESS COMPLIANCE STANDARDS!
- Safety warning light stays on – Most modern cars have a warning light which displays if you are not wearing a seat belt. If it becomes stuck on, the problem may lie with your seatbelt’s wiring or the sensors beneath your seat.
- Loose buckles – If the buckle becomes loose or damaged, it may lead to insufficient protection in a crash. Keep an eye out for rust, looseness of other buckle damage.
Causes of seat belts failing a Warrant of Fitness:
Below are some of the most common causes associated with a seat belt failing its Warrant of Fitness:
- Fraying and cuts – As mentioned above, the seat belt’s “webbing” can be subject to fraying or tears over time. Fraying can decrease the effectiveness of a seat belt by up to 60%. For this reason, the belt will need to be replaced for a Warrant of Fitness. WE CAN ORGANISE RE-WEBBING OF SEAT / SAFETY BELTS FOR YOU, TO WARRANT OF FITNESS COMPLIANCE STANDARDS!
- Faded material – Constant exposure to sunlight can eventually cause the seat belt material to fade. This results in reduced effectiveness in an accident.
- Damaged retractor – Your seat belts should be able to smoothly retract. In some cases, the retractor can become damaged or fail, resulting in your seat belt becoming unsafe.
Car Seat Belt WOF Replacement in Hamilton
Is your car in need of a new seat belt or rewebbing to pass a Warrant of Fitness? If so, we can help you. At Grimmer Motors, our team of skilled mechanics can replace your seat belt and ensure it complies with New Zealand’s WOF standards.
For car seat belt replacement in Hamilton, contact Grimmer Motors today!
Please note: WE CAN ORGANISE RE-WEBBING OF SEAT / SAFETY BELTS FOR YOU, TO WARRANT OF FITNESS COMPLIANCE STANDARDS!