What does the clutch do?
In manual vehicles, the clutch assembly consists of several different components. The role of your car’s clutch assembly is to engage and disengage the transmission. This lets you change gears when the clutch pedal is down.
Inside your car’s clutch, the clutch plate/disc makes contact with the flywheel. The flywheel is a part that spins rapidly, sending power from the engine into the transmission.
When you apply the clutch pedal, the pressure plates that hold the clutch plate/disc in place are released. This causes the clutch plate to lose contact with the flywheel, interrupting the transmission and allowing you to change gears.
Why do clutches need to be replaced?
Over time, the clutch can become worn and cease to function properly. There are several parts of your clutch that can fail. These include:
- The clutch plate/disc
- The clutch pressure plates
- The clutch thrust bearing
- The clutch cylinder
- The clutch cable
Damage to any of these parts can cause the clutch, to slip or lose effectiveness. A slipping clutch will often need to be replaced with a new one.
Symptoms of a clutch due for replacement:
There are several signs and symptoms that may indicate that a clutch is due for replacement, including:
- Clutch is slipping: If the clutch slips or fails to fully engage, it may need to be replaced. This can cause the engine RPM to increase without a corresponding increase in vehicle speed.
- Difficulty shifting gears: If it becomes difficult to shift gears or the gears grind, this may indicate a problem with the clutch.
- Soft or spongy clutch pedal: If the clutch pedal feels soft or spongy, it may indicate that there is air in the clutch hydraulic system or that the clutch is wearing out.
- Engine RPM increases without acceleration: If the engine RPM increases without a corresponding increase in vehicle speed, it may indicate a slipping clutch.
- Clutch noises: If you hear any unusual noises, such as squeaking, rattling, or grinding, coming from the clutch, it may indicate a problem with the clutch and that it needs to be replaced.
- Burning smell from clutch: A burning smell coming from the clutch may indicate that the clutch is overheating and needs to be replaced.
New Car Clutch Installation in Hamilton
It is important to address any issues with the clutch as soon as they are detected, as continued operation with a worn or damaged clutch can cause further damage to the drivetrain and potentially result in a complete failure of the clutch system. If you are experiencing any of the above symptoms, feel free to give Grimmer Motors a call at (07) 855 2037. We can quickly and accurately diagnose/fix problems in your car’s clutch system.
Installing a new clutch will allow you to easily change gears without any problems. It will also prevent your car from losing power to your wheels (if the clutch is slipping). At Grimmer Motors, our talented and experienced mechanics can diagnose problems in your clutch and provide you with a high-quality repair/replacement new car clutch.
For new car clutches in Hamilton, contact Grimmer Motors today!