What is the ignition module?
If you’re experiencing problems with your vehicle’s ignition system, it may be time to consider replacing the ignition module. The ignition module, also known as the ignition control module, is a component of the electronic ignition system that controls the firing of the ignition coils, creating the voltage the spark plugs need to ignite the air/fuel mixture in the engine cylinder. When it fails, the vehicle may not start or may stall while running.
Proper functionality of the ignition module is important to the operating of your vehicle. If the module fails, your spark plugs may be unable to create combustion in your engine. This can prevent your car from starting or cause performance issues.
Symptoms of a faulty ignition module/igniter:
- Misfiring while driving – A misfire occurs when your car’s engine misses a process in its combustion cycle, causing unburnt fuel to exit your car through the exhaust. Since a faulty ignition module can affect the combustion process, it can cause misfires to occur much more frequently.
- Signs of misfires occurring include:
- A loss of power
- Car shaking/vibrating at low revs
- A popping sound from the exhaust
- Black smoke coming from the exhaust
- Car not starting – A broken ignition module can prevent the car from starting at all. This happens when no power is sent from the ignition module to the ignition coil. When the keys are turned, you will hear the engine cranking but it won’t be able to run with a failed ignition module / igniter.
- Increased fuel consumption – When fuel is not being ignited properly, it will exit through your exhaust and go to waste. This will cause your car to use more fuel than it should.
- Check engine light on – When your engine sensors detect that your engine isn’t igniting fuel properly, the check engine light may turn on.
Engine light diagnostics in Hamilton >
If you’re experiencing any of these symptoms, it’s important to have your ignition module checked by a qualified mechanic as soon as possible. A faulty ignition module can cause a variety of problems, not only making your vehicle hard to start but also affecting the engine performance and fuel economy.
New Ignition Module / Igniter Installation & Repair in Hamilton
Is your car in need of a new ignition module or ignition / igniter module diagnostics? If so, we can help!
At Grimmer Motors, our experienced mechanics have the knowledge and expertise to diagnose and repair any problems with your ignition system. We use only the highest quality parts and our technicians are trained to work on all makes and models of vehicles.
When you bring your vehicle to us for ignition module replacement, we’ll perform a thorough diagnostic test to determine the cause of the problem. We’ll then replace the ignition module with a new, high-quality part and test the system to ensure proper operation.
Don’t let a faulty ignition module cause problems with your vehicle. If you’re experiencing difficulty starting your vehicle or other ignition-related issues, contact Grimmer Motors today to schedule an appointment for ignition module replacement. We’ll get you back on the road quickly and safely.