The exhaust mount, also known as an exhaust hanger or exhaust bracket, is a component designed to support and secure the exhaust system of a vehicle. It plays a crucial role in keeping the exhaust system in the proper position and preventing excessive movement.
The primary function of the exhaust mount is to absorb and dampen the vibrations and movements generated by the engine and the exhaust system. It helps to minimize the transmission of these vibrations to the vehicle’s chassis, reducing noise and preventing potential damage to the exhaust components.
Exhaust mounts are typically made of rubber or metal, or a combination of both. Rubber mounts have the advantage of providing additional flexibility, allowing for better absorption of vibrations. Metal mounts, on the other hand, offer durability and strength.
Over time, the exhaust mounts can wear out or become damaged due to factors such as:
- exposure to heat
- road conditions,
- general wear and tear.
When the mounts fail or deteriorate, the exhaust system may hang lower, become misaligned, or produce excessive noise and vibrations.
Replacing worn-out or damaged exhaust mounts is essential for maintaining the proper functioning of the exhaust system, reducing noise and vibrations, and preventing potential damage to other surrounding components. Regular inspections and maintenance of the exhaust mounts are recommended to ensure the integrity of the exhaust system and the overall performance of the vehicle.
How does an exhaust mount become damaged?
An exhaust hanger can last longer than 10 years, depending on the vehicle and the kind of travel it does. It will last longer on vehicles that travel over mainly flat surfaces and will last a shorter period for those travelling on uneven roads. Over time the exhaust hanger will constantly move and eventually it will no longer be able to hold the pipes up. When the exhaust hangers fail it will cause the exhaust pipe to drop and scrape across the ground.
Signs and symptoms of exhaust mount problems
Exhaust mount problems can manifest through various signs and symptoms. Here are some common indicators to look out for:
- Increase in Exhaust Sound: One of the primary signs of an exhaust mount problem is an increase in exhaust system noise. You may notice a louder-than-usual rumbling, rattling, or vibrating sound coming from underneath your vehicle. This is often caused by the exhaust components, such as pipes and mufflers, not being securely held in place due to a damaged or worn-out mount.
- Exhaust System Movement: If you visually inspect your exhaust system and notice excessive movement or sagging, it may indicate an issue with the exhaust mounts. The mounts are designed to secure the exhaust system in place, and if they are damaged or deteriorated, the system may hang lower than normal or sway when the vehicle is in motion.
- Misaligned or Hanging Exhaust Components: Damaged exhaust mounts can cause the exhaust pipes, mufflers, or catalytic converters to become misaligned or hang lower than they should. You may observe parts of the exhaust system hanging down, particularly near the rear of the vehicle. This can lead to scraping against the ground, especially when going over bumps or uneven surfaces.
- Excessive Vibrations: Faulty exhaust mounts can result in increased vibrations felt throughout the vehicle, particularly when the engine is running. These vibrations may be more noticeable when idling or when accelerating. They can be felt in the steering wheel, floorboards, or even the seats.
- Exhaust Odors in the Cabin: If the exhaust system is not properly secured, it can create gaps or leaks in the system. This can allow exhaust gases to enter the cabin of the vehicle, leading to the presence of exhaust odors inside the car. If you notice a strong smell of exhaust fumes while driving, it’s essential to have the exhaust system inspected promptly.
The Importance of Exhaust Mounts
Exhaust hangers will deteriorate over time with wear and tear so check ups and inspections of the exhaust mount is important because if it does fail it will create further damage to the vehicle. To fixa damaged exhaust mount, the exhaust hanger(s) will have to be replaced.
Inspection and Replacing Exhaust Mounts Hamilton
If you’re having any exhaust mount issues or needing exhaust mount replacements, rewelding or inspections, Grimmer Motors has you covered. Our expert mechanics can quickly find what is causing this problem. We can then provide honest, expert advice, servicing and replacement. We can either replace the exhaust mounts or reweld when possible.
For exhaust mount replacement and rewelding in Hamilton, contact Grimmer Motors today!