What is Engine Tuning?
Tuning an engine means making it run more smoothly, reducing fuel consumption, decreasing exhaust emissions and increasing the engine’s power and reliability.
Engine tuning has changed over time, with the modern vehicle engine requiring a different approach to previous generations of engines. With modern engines, everything is computer-controlled, decreasing the need for manual adjustments (such as adjusting points, timing and valve tappets).
In modern engines, a tune up may consist of at least some of these:
- Replacement of spark plugs
- Replacement of ignition coil(s)
- Cleaning or replacement of the air filter
- Checking or replacement of fuel filters
- Cleaning of dirt and carbon from the throttle body
- Checking the exhaust Air / Fuel ratio
- Checking the fault codes and live data to determine if all the sensors and actuators in the engine are working correctly
Some of the common critical components of any engine that often deteriorate over time to cause “engine tuning” problems are the:
- Mass Air Flow Meter (MAF)
- Intake Air Temperature Sensor (IAT)
- Barometric Pressure Sensor
- Exhaust Gas Recirculation Sensor (EGR)
- Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor (MAP)
- Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor
- Throttle Position Sensors (TPS)
- Idle Air Control Valves (IACV)
- Oxygen Sensors (O2 sensors)
- Positive Crankcase Ventilation Valve (PCV Valve)
Engine misfires are the most common form of engine tune problems. Misfires occur when fuel is not fully burnt in the engine cylinder combustion chamber.
This can often be due to:
- an incorrect Air / Fuel ratio (either too lean or too rich),
- a problem with the ignition system,
- a mechanical issue such as a blown head gasket, burnt valve, or stuck EGR or PCV valve
Misfiring engine cylinders can increase fuel consumption, overheat the delicate engine and exhaust components, increase exhaust emissions, decrease engine power, and do mechanical damage to the engine and its engine mounts.
At Grimmer Motors we use the latest, unique state-of-the-art diagnostic tool technology that measures the number of engine misfires while your engine is running. This system works on virtually any engine, petrol or diesel, and any make.
Vehicle Engine Tuning Services in Hamilton
For reliable engine tuning in Hamilton, come visit Grimmer Motors. Regardless of your vehicle’s make and model, we can tune your engine for you. We can also perform advanced diagnostic tests on your vehicle. For reliable engine tune-ups in Hamilton, contact us today.
Advanced Engine Diagnostics
Book an engine tune with us and you will receive complimentary electronic tests on your vehicle.
At Grimmer Motors we use advanced diagnostic technology to scan your vehicle for fault codes and live data. Your vehicle is eligible for a free scan every time you spend more than $49 on vehicle servicing, WOF, or vehicle repair.
The exciting part of this for you is that it means your vehicle’s “State of Tune” is recorded into our cloud database every time your car is worked on at Grimmer Motors.
By monitoring your engines “State of Tune” we can alert you straight away if we see any deterioration that could lead to:
- Pending breakdown conditions
- Excessive fuel consumption
- Excessive exhaust emissions
- Damage to engine and exhaust components
For the best vehicle tuning solutions in Hamilton, by qualified, experienced, and trusted mechanics call us now.