What do the coil springs do?
The coil springs (or suspension springs) are important suspension components in your vehicle. The springs work in conjunction with your vehicle’s shock absorbers and struts, allowing your vehicle to absorb impacts, support the vehicle’s weight, and improve weight distribution. The coil springs also keep your vehicle balanced, stopping it from leaning to one side.
When you drive through uneven terrain, the coil springs will compress as your car goes over bumps. This prevents the car from bouncing up and down from impacts. The result is a much smoother driving experience for you and your passengers.
Problems with the coil springs can lead to your driving experience being rough or bumpy. Your car may also sag to one side due to poor weighty distribution. Coil spring problems can also increase wear on surrounding suspension components, and cause impact damage to the components underneath your car if it is bottoming out more often.
What causes coil spring damage?
Since the coil spring is constantly expanding and retracting, it is prone to wear, especially under extreme conditions. Over time, the coil springs can wear, corrode and crack or lose its tension (sag). This can cause problems in your suspension system.
What are the symptoms of a failing coil spring?
- Car Leaning or Sagging: A failing coil spring can cause the affected corner of the vehicle to sag or appear lower than normal. You may notice uneven ride height, with one side of the vehicle sitting noticeably lower than the other.
- Rough or Bumpy Ride: As a coil spring loses its integrity, it may not be able to effectively absorb bumps and vibrations from the road surface. This can result in a rough, bumpy, or excessively stiff ride quality. You may feel every bump and pothole more intensely than usual.
- Bottoming Out: When going over speed bumps, dips, or uneven road surfaces, a failing coil spring may cause the affected corner of the vehicle to “bottom out.” This means that the suspension compresses fully, causing the tyres or undercarriage to come into contact with the road or obstacles.
- Excessive Noise: A failing coil spring can produce clunking, squeaking, or creaking noises, especially when going over bumps or during turns. These noises may indicate that the spring has become worn, cracked, or has lost its tension.
- Tyre Wear Irregularities: Uneven tyre wear patterns can be a sign of a failing coil spring. If the spring is not providing proper support and suspension alignment, it can lead to uneven tyre wear, such as bald spots or excessive wear on specific areas of the tyre tread.
- Handling and Steering Issues: A worn or broken coil spring can impact the vehicle’s handling and steering response. You may experience increased body roll, decreased stability during turns, or a vague or imprecise steering feel.
How important is a coil/suspension spring replacement?
A damaged coil spring can cause damage to components underneath your vehicle. This is due to the car hitting the ground or wheel hitting your wheel arch after driving over bumps. This can cause expensive damage over time.
For this reason, we recommend that you get your coil springs serviced and replaced before they cause any more trouble.
Also, properly working coil springs and shock absorbers are a Warrant of Fitness (WOF) requirement, meaning you vehicle will fail a WOF if your coil springs or shocks are not working properly.
Coil/Suspension Spring Inspection & Replacement in Hamilton
A functioning suspension keeps the parts under your vehicle safe. It also increases driving comfort, cornering ability and allows your car to recover from wheel related impacts (such as judder bars, pot holes) more effectively. At Grimmer Motors, we can provide reliable, long-last services for your vehicle’s suspension system. This includes:
- Coil springs
- Shock absorbers
- Steering components
- Tie rods
- Ball joints
- Suspension bushes
- Sway bar bushes
Our skilled, highly qualified mechanics are able to quickly diagnose issues in your car’s suspension system, allowing for you to save time and money. When can then provide quality replacement services if necessary. For coil spring replacement in Hamilton, contact Grimmer Motors today!